Monday, June 15, 2015

Moving Through June Gloom

It happens ever June so it shouldn't come as a surprise and YET every June as the fog rolls in over the water and we sink into June gloom I am surprised.  Everyday I wake up with than anticipated hope of a blue ski and sun but instead the sky is gray, cloudy and most mornings it's drizzling. If we are lucky it may burn off by 4 or 5 in the afternoon and we get a couple of hours of that summertime sun but recently we haven't seen that sun at all.  This is downside of living near the beach and for this one month I wish I was a mile or two inland where the sun is shining.

Typically by July 4 or 5 the gloom disappears and our summer can really begin BUT a few years back the gloom didn't leave at all until September when school was in full swing and thoughts of summer were gone. It was a summer that never was! The gloom seems to act as a reminder to all of us how lucky we are to live in a place where the sun shines the majority of time and the average temperatures are in the 70's year round.  I learned years ago I could never live in the Northwest where the weather is very much the opposite of ours.  I know I need the sun to lift my spirit and make me happy.

The kids announce each morning they are off to the beach but by lunch time when it has not cleared those plans quickly change and they make plans for the next day.  When they were little I would still take them and sit at the beach wrapped in blankets and dream of hot sand and being sweaty.

It's easy to get gloomy with the weather.  I feel more tired, I want to drink coffee more and when I should be thinking of watermelon, salads, and grilled chicken I am suddenly thinking of casseroles and soups.  This is summer in June at the beach in Los Angeles!  I know it is short lived but like I said it gets me every year!

So this year I am fully prepared.  I decided to get my workout done before 7 in the morning.  The kids are still asleep, I don't have to worry about making lunches or getting anyone anywhere and it immediately puts me in a good mood. My husband and I have decided to get our workout done together this summer and that adds a whole new twist!:)  Exercise is the BEST mood enhancer!! It  energizes me and boost productivity when the gloominess can actually reduce productivity!!




I dress in tank tops and flip flops and just keep a sweater handy. It would be easy to throw on the leggings and sweatshirts but it's summer so why not dress the part.

I am not giving into soups, chilis or casseroles. I am staying healthy and watching what I eat.  Drinking lots of water and grilling, making summer salads and buying lots of summer fruit.

I will be prepared because one day very soon that gloom is going to leave our beaches, the water will warm up and the sun will shine and I WILL be ready for summer!  I just have to remind myself that this is the norm EVERY year . . . June Gloom is in fully swing but it's only a temporary situation!



No comments:

Post a Comment