Thursday, September 10, 2015

Turkey Chili With A Twist

I am so ready for fall!!  I just want to wear a sweatshirt and not sweat in my own house.  A ten degree drop in temperature would make me so happy.  I just want mild temperatures, not hot and not cold!!

Yesterday morning I felt a little chill in the air (very little) and that was enough to decide on making chili for dinner.  There are so many turkey chili recipes and I make chili often in the winter so I decided to try a new one.  I got this recipe off a blog I love dinneralovestory.com.  It's was a turkey black bean chili and it had one very interesting spice . . . . . cinnamon!!!  I would have never thought but  I decided to go with it especially since the recipe said DON'T skip adding it and the result was delicious.  I served it with a green salad.

Ingredients

  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 3 tbs chili powder
  • 1  28 oz of diced tomatoes 
  • dash of oregano, thyme, cayenne 
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 tsp of cinnamon  (TRUST ME ON THIS ONE)
  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed


Sauté the onions and garlic in a little bit olive oil.  Add turkey and break into pieces as it cooks.  Add chili powder and let it cook for a minute.  Add diced tomatoes, spices,bay leaf and cinnamon and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add black beans and cook another 5-10 minutes.

Serve with diced avocado, reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese and a spoonful of non fat plain greek yogurt.

21 Day Fix = 1 red,  1/2 green, 1 yellow (1 blue if you use toppings)




No comments:

Post a Comment