Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Homemade Applesauce . . . Fix Approved

I don't eat enough fruit especially at this time of year.  In the summer fruits are more appealing and refreshing.  There are an abundance of fresh fruit choices . . . berries, melons, peaches, plums!! In the winter I find myself going with bananas or apples and on occasion blueberries or strawberries though there is no guaranteeing the berry quality.

As a kid my grandmother used to make homemade applesauce and the house always smelled so good.  So I decided to give it a go!  This is a great option to add an extra serving of fruit in to your day and it's a great way to curb your sweet cravings with NO added sugar!  This version is 21 Day Fixed approved and super easy!!!  It's all done in the crockpot and you can peel the apples (my preferred method) or leave the skin on!  You will know your applesauce is done when the apples are soft and it all blends to together with a spoon.  It should be roughly the same consistency as store bought applesauce.  I wanted mine a little thicker so I cooked it for an extra 30 minutes with the cover off the crockpot.

Ingredients

  • 5-6 medium size apples, any variety  (I used honey crisp); peeled and chopped
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tsp of cinnamon
Combine all the ingredients in the crockpot and cook on high for 4-5 hours.  If you want to thicken you can cook last 30 minutes with cover off.  Stir together and enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment