Wednesday, May 18, 2016

One Less Brown Bag Lunch

Do you remember the last time you carried your child or held their hand as they crossed the street?  It's not something we think about or even realize when it happens.  We probably had another child to pick up and let's face it life is busy.  But what if you realized it, would you have marked the moment?  Would you have paused to take notice? Would you have been excited, sad or both?  There are so many tiny life moments that pass us by, so many small ends and new beginnings in our children's lives.  All of sudden you realize you have a big kid who doesn't need you quite as much. Every year they get a little more independent, a little bigger and a little smarter!  

Well this past week I did take pause and mark a very small "last time" occurrence.  The last time, after 12 years that I was making my daughter's school lunch as she is about to graduate from high school.  She would tell you I was probably happy about that as trying to figure out what to make for her at times was a struggle. She didn't eat sandwiches and if she could have had me take a hot lunch to everyday at school she would have been thrilled.  I am happy about one less lunch to make because this is one task I don't really love BUT my emotions are mixed.  It's one of those tiny things that could have easily gone unnoticed as I still have 2 kids at home to make lunch but I for one am happy I realized it!  It marks the end of chapter so yes there is little bit of sadness but also a whole lot of excitement as the little girl has grown into a lovely young woman who is about to venture off on her.  Sure I sometimes wish for those simple days when she held my hand and I carried her everywhere. When we played on the floor for hours and snuggled up on the sofa reading books.  BUT I also know that the parenting end game is to raise responsible, independent young adults.  It's our job to support them and guide them through childhood into adulthood.  And for that I'm excited, proud and happy that I STOPPED, PAUSED and REALIZED it was the last school lunch so I could lock that tiny life moment into my memory and cherish it and celebrate it!!   It's the little things in life!!  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment